You are currently browsing the monthly archive for June 2010.
i feel like i’ve regressed back to being 6. i woke up, felt the need to watch indiana jones and the temple of doom, and make pancakes. it’s pretty great. “india” + “archaeology” + repressed sexual urges = terribly tacky but simultaneously awesome movie.
i’ve updated my flickr with more photos, so take a look.
most are from last weekend.
sorry i’ve been a little MIA…i’ve been feeling under the whether and am trying to figure out what’s wrong. eeks.
but photos are fun! take a look if you haven’t seen them already.
hulu has Mommy Dearest as one of its featured movies!
I KNOW WHAT I’M DOING TONIGHT.
(can you see the my social life while in alaska has totally gone down the tube?)
- as i may have mentioned, i have two separate upstairs neighbors – michael, and michael (two separate apartments). one of the michaels either stomps around in circles really loudly, or does something else really loudly…but only sometimes.
- my bedroom is right next to the room in the basement where the laundry stuff is located. the machines have been going off for the past 4 hours. i guess there’s a lot of laundry to be done
- i killed a huge spider on my wall. it crunched in the paper towel i ended its life in.
- michael is stomping again.
- i get freaked thinking that spiders might be nesting in my bed…it happened once: one summer, i kept waking up with spider bites on my toes and hands. one day, my mom went to change the sheets on my bed and found a spider camping out under my pillow. i guess it would crawl out at night to nibble on my extremities.
- it’s still not totally dark outside, and it’s 10:31.
- hopefully i’ll be able to wake up early enough to go for a run.
- i had a dream that i gave birth to a baby girl last night, as well as looked for an apartment in brooklyn that had a microwave in the fridge. they were two separate dreams. the first one was terrifying. the second one was just mildly uncomfortable.
- i’m afraid my computer will just melt one day, as it gets so hot when i use it. it also makes a “whirrrrr”ing noise. is this normal for macbooks?
- i need to do something more productive in my evenings…thesis or draw or run or something…not just watch bad tv online and then crawl into bed.
- i had a brief thought to fly to nome, ak this weekend to try and see the folk festival that will be there. i then realized that nome is like, way way way out in western alaska…like, close to russia, alaska. i don’t think that will end up happening.
- i’m going to go watch high fidelity (again) and try to fall asleep.
i’ve been a listener of Radiolab for a while, but recently, it’s been a savior when i’m alone in the conservation lab or collections storage for long hours at a time. it’s great to listen to music, but after 4 or 5 hours, sometimes i’m just ready to hear actual voices and conversation (regardless as to whether or not the conversation is actually with me…eeks)
so, today, i was working on boxing and tagging some objects, and was listening to an episode of Radiolab called “The Loudest Miniature Fuzz”. it was a short that just focused on the music of this brooklyn band called Buke and Gass. buke = baritone ukulele, gass = guitar/bass…the two instruments played by members Arone (fem) and Aron (masc).
so, anyway, i’m listening to this podcast, and they start playing some of their music, and i LOVE it.
it’s like, math-rock but not math-rock meets some strange folk thing meets god knows what else.
it’s incredible….and i cannot wait for their next full-length to come out (their old album can be purchased on their bandcamp website)
the one song that really stuck with me from the podcast was one called “two frogs”. i think it’s planned to be on their next album, but dear god, i can’t stop thinking about it.
someone put it up on youtube as a clip, so take a listen. unghhhhhhh.
i’m absolutely obsessed with Dark Dark Dark’s rendition of Elephan Micah’s song “Wild Goose Chase”.
i’m also obsessed with my friend Matt’s new tape label, Words + Dreams.
in his own words (no pun intended):
The first W+D release is Enigma Variations, a 20-minute cassette from Brooklyn’s Guilty Ghosts, hand-dubbed and hand-numbered in an edition of 50. Guilty Ghosts is the solo project of Tristan O’Donnell, a good friend and excellent musician, composed of sparse, fuzzy, chilling guitar loops and chilled-out beats broadcast from the moon, simultaneously intimate and a million miles away. For a few different but equally vague descriptions, there are even some blog write-ups.
check it out. it’s pretty stellar…
i feel it happening again.
when i first got here, i was going to bed around 10, waking up between 6-7 (sometimes earlier) and going for a 2+ mile run before i started my day.
last night, i got in bed at 10, could’t fall asleep until 11:30, and when my alarm went off at 6, i kept hitting snooze until 7.
it’s now 7:30, and i’m still in bed.
it’s not that i don’t want to run. i want to. but now i’m in the mindset that “oh, it’s too late, i can’t do it now, i should just shower and drink coffee and watch hi-fidelity and do other stuff until i go to work at 10.”
i’m an incredible fan of Lorena, who is the genius behind marañón, selling her work at her etsy shop. the colors, the patterns, and the meticulous attention to detail are all things i love. i’d totall love to own one of her little beauties one day.
but, until that day comes, i used her as inspiration to make a wall hanging piece for here, or my new apt. when i finally go home. (the apartment here is nice, as it’s furnished, but nowhere near how i’d have chosen to decorate…it’s a struggle).
i still need to trim off the extra fabric. and sure, there are things i wish i had done differently, or will do differently next time. it’s been a while since i embroidered anything other than feathers on cards, so i need to really work on the preciseness of my satin stitches. next time.
so, I’ve been in Alaska for a little over a week now, and have yet to say anything about it.
- i’m living in an apartment that’s a 10 minute (if that) walk to the museum.
- my routine is pretty set: wake up between 6 and 7, go for a run (usually 2-3 miles), make coffee/shower, eat breakfast, start or watch a movie online, head into work by 10:30, work through 4-5, depending on if i take lunch, go to the grocery store or walk around, go home, make/eat dinner, watch movies/knit/draw, bed by 10.
- i think i’ve watched more movies here than i have in the past 5 years.
- i live in an apartment with two separate upstairs neighbors. both are named michael.
- someone brought me a crab today. i forgot about it in the fridge at work. when i told my mom “someone gave me a crab at work”, she was extremely confused and slightly concerned. gross. no way.
- i have yet to go out at night. i’d like to, but am working up the courage to a.) go alone and b.) not feel totally uncomfortable if i’m hit on (as i was told i would be, being a new girl on the island who’d not horrible to look at).
- it’s like a ghost town on sundays. i don’t know where everyone goes, but it’s not anywhere in town.
- gas is $4.18/gallon. thank goodness i don’t really need to drive anywhere or all that much
- bald eagles are like seagulls…they’re everywhere
- i have yet to see a bear. i’m working on this.
there’s so much work to do in the museum, i don’t know if it’s even possible to finish it in the 10 weeks i have here. oyvey.
want to see pictures? i know you do: